Monday 7 April 2014

The Spotlight

Descriptive Paragraph:

Imagine having horrific stage fright. As if the very idea of having peoples eyes on you is enough to kill you alone. That is me.
 Sitting backstage, waiting for my turn to go recite my debut speech in front of my family, friends, judges and dozens of other people. I had the speech memorized and it was written from facts that I already knew anyway, but the closer it got to my turn the more it all seemed to vanish. I was racking my brain trying to remember the proper stance, to smile, and where to stand. My fingers and knees began shaking. My throat felt clogged, and my vision became blurry. The applause that once filled in the silence had become very distant. I felt the blood drain from my face as I became white as a ghost. It was my turn next. I managed to let the words "I'm not ready" to escape from my mouth, but it was too late because I was being shoved out the door and into the view of waiting eyes. Panic filled my heart. Thankfully my legs found a way to control themselves. I made my way to the microphone without tripping and shattering what little confidence I had. My hands soon became clammy, my knees were shaking, and when I began talking my voice surprised me. It was loud, clear, and didn't miss a section of my pre-prepared speech. A smile filled my face as I said my concluding words and the audience began applauding. My final steps off the stage felt easy and effortless, and I was greeted by fellow candidates squishing me with hugs. The worries and stresses of earlier in the day felt like nothing to how I felt now that it was over. I was one step closer to conquering my fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment